The John Hasecoster home in Richmond, Indiana. (Designed by Hasecoster).
John Adam Hasecoster (1844 – 1925) was an architect who resided in Richmond, Indiana during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (His practice was located in Richmond, Indiana as well). He was born in Osnabruck, Germany where his father was a master builder. After studying drafting at Nienburg, he emigrated to the United States in 1867 to join two brothers (George and Frederick) who had moved to Richmond, Indiana. He completed his studies in St. Louis and Chicago and returned to Richmond after serving his apprenticeship in 1875.
Hasecoster designed buildings in many styles including Second Empire, Romanesque, Gothic revival, and Craftsman.
He was a Fellow of the Western Association of Architects 1887-1889 and a Member of The American Institute of Architects(AIA) 1889-1902, Fellow of The American Institute of Architects (FAIA) 1889. (On the merger of the Western Association of Architects with The American Institute of Architects in 1889, all AIA members were made Fellows because WAA members were known as Fellows.)
John A. Hasecoster (died 1925) was married to (1st wife) Augustus Schuster, who died in October, 1882. He married Emma Eggemeyer in 1885. She died in 1938 at the age of 77.
Lutherania Cemetery, Richmond, IN.
**In addition to the list above: The David W. Dennis home on West Main Street, his personal home at 20th & Main Streets (Richmond, IN.) plus two Richmond Fire Houses…all still standing! (No. 1. & No. 4.) ** A partial list of Hasecoster buildings by Dan Tate, August, 2010. That’s at least 35 buildings…and still counting. (EXP = Expansion)
George Hasecoster was a brother of John A. Hasecoster. Advertisement from the Wayne County, Richmond Indiana (1865) Soldier’s Register. George held U.S. Patents for various improvements and manufacturing processes of window shades (blinds). He also secured a patent for burial caskets, which was later transferred to the J.M. Hutton Co.
Read about another Richmond Architect here.