Ebon Louck was born in Jefferson Township, Preble County, Ohio on August 12, 1862. In October, 1880 he married Alice Swinn, of Cambridge City, Indiana. She was the daughter of Adam and Rebecca (Boyer) Swinn, of Cambridge City. (Adam died in 1907). They had two children; Roland E., who was born in Cambridge City and is now Superintendent of the Louck & Hill Co., Bessie B. married R. F. Taylor, who is Secretary of the Louck & Hill Co.
EBON LOUCK BUYS FOULKE SAWMILL FOR FACTORY
(This headline appeared in the (Richmond) Evening Item News, 4-16-1891)
Ebon Louck and Theodore H. Hill (Mr. Hill is also buried at Earlham Cemetery) were partners in the Louck & Hill Co., the latter being incorporated in 1894. The firm manufactured office, school and church furniture. This company was also involved in some of the most significant construction occurring in Richmond, Indiana during the latter part of the 1890s, up to the early 1900s.
This church was erected by Louck & Hill.
Louck & Hill built the Reid Presbyterian Church at the SW corner of North 11th and A Streets, and superintended the construction of the original Reid Memorial Hospital. The firm also constructed many residences throughout the city.
Original Reid Hospital Construction, Chester Blvd., near the river.
The Wayne Flats, at 12th & Main Streets, was built in 1903 by Louck & Hill.
In 1903, Louck and Hill erected the Wayne Flats apartment building, located at the NE corner of 12th & Main Streets. The 15 unit building (an investment property they built for themselves) was the only “Flats” style complex in Richmond at the time. It featured steam heat, a janitor, electric lights and the most modern conveniences available.
The Hoosier Drill Company (before the remodeling occurred).
When Hoosier Drill reorganized, the American Seeding Machine Company was created. Louck & Hill re-built their buildings at North 13th and E Streets. North 14th Street was vacated and the existing building was extended to North 15th Street. Ebon Louck was the President of Louck & Hill Company, and the Richmond Brick Company. He died in 1934, at the age of 82. His family resided in Richmond at 2001 East Main Street. The Louck & Hill Company building is located in Richmond, on North 4th Street adjacent to the North property line of the Richmond Post Office. Their commercial building and the Louck home, remain standing as of December 20, 2009). Source for some of the information provided in this Sketch: Memoirs of Wayne County & Richmond, Indiana; Henry Clay Fox; 1912.
Obituary Notice Source
The Louck home at 2001 East Main Street, Richmond Indiana. (Photo taken December 21, 2009)
c: 1896 Expanded view of the above photo c: 1906 (after expansions)
2009 View from parking lot of the U.S. Post Office, Richmond.
2007 Aerial View of Subject
THEODORE H. HILL
Theodore H. Hill was born in Richmond, Indiana on May 12, 1856. He was reared in Madison Co., Indiana, a son of George and Tacy B. (Hibberd) Hill. George Hill (subject’s father) was born November 7, 1825 in Richmond, Indiana and died there August 21, 1882. Robert Hill, grandfather of subject, was born in Guilford County, NC. He settled in Hamilton County, Ohio (near Cincinnati) in 1801. In 1806 he removed to Richmond, Indiana. He operated a grist mill in the Whitewater Gorge area at Richmond (where Starr Piano was). Robert Hill retired from his business interests in 1831, and died in August, 1850.Theodore Hill remained in Madison County at the family farm until he was about 15 years old,and then removed to Richmond and became engaged in the grain business. He formed a partnership with his brother in law, George R. Dilks in the Linseed Oil business, becoming associated with the Chicago Linseed Oil Company for a short time.
While working in the Linseed Oil business, he resided in Toledo, Ohio for about 8 years and during this time he was associated with Homer T. Yaryan, the latter partnership continuing for 15 years. Mr. Hill returned to Richmond in 1895 and formed a partnership with Ebon Louck (the Louck & Hill Company). Mr. Louck was the President of the company and Mr. Hill was its Secretary and Treasurer.
Mr. T.H. Hill was married June 14, 1888 to Miss Rosa B. Thompson. They resided at 46 South 13th Street, (still standing) Richmond, Indiana.
The Hill home at 46 South 13th Street, Richmond, Indiana (Photo taken December 21, 2009).
Source of Sketches: Memoirs of Wayne County & Richmond, Indiana; Henry Clay Fox; 1912